Sunday, April 20, 2008

2008 - The Year of Recycling?

Not even half the year has passed and my mind is clouded with all of the rumors of impending sequels, spin offs and reunions. I know our current entertainment programming consists of recycled movies and TV programs, with truly original content found few and far between, but by golly, you don't fuck with classics. I kept quiet when John Waters' Hairspray was remade with the gay kid from High School Musical, John Travolta, Amanda Byrne, Queen Latifah, etc. (the whole cast upset me). They say if you don't want to see it, don't watch it. So I didn't, I haven't, and I have no desire to subject myself to 2007's Hairspray. I only watched Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because it was advertised to NOT be based off of the original film, but more off of the book, thus we were all forewarned (2007's Hairspray had no literary backing to fall back on). But I am ever so disappointed with what the rest of the year has to offer.

9021-oh no
This classic TV shows has already had a ton of (semi)successful, unofficial spin offs - The OC, One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl - that tackled the same drama with high school aged kids that was a precedent when 90210 first aired. I'm sure producers believe that attaching the '90210' name guarantees success. Probably. Our society seems fairly easy to please. Necessary? Absolutely not. Will I watch? OF COURSE! Especially since rumor has it Kelly Taylor may be back as a teacher for BHHS and it opens possibilities for us finding out where the original cast are now. What has Dylan McKay been up to all these years?

NKOTB
or as they should now be known as Old Men on the Corner
I was lucky to catch the kids/boys/men on the Today show a few weeks back. They look rough. Danny looks as though he's been abusing the botox. Joey is ghastly pale. Donnie's hairline appears to be receding. Rumor has it they'll be back in the studio to record some new hits(!) for their comeback tour. I'm surprised a reality show won't be accompanying it. Will I go to the concert? OF COURSE! My instinct tells me their summer tour will be no where near as profitable as Hanna Montana's, but none the less, I shall be there. Their appearance on the Today show reminded me what I loved so much about them. They were asked to introduce themselves and Jordan got the mike and said, "I'm Jordan. I'm a Taurus." How fucking great is that?


The Lost Boys
This is wrong on a multitude of levels. First and foremost being that, of course, you don't fuck with a classic. If you do, the two biggest names in the flick shouldn't be two have-been child actors turned reality TV stars. Even though I, like the majority of other young girls in the late eighties - early nineties, loved the Coreys Haim and Feldmen, I do not want to see them fighting vampires while they're nearing the midlife crisis stage. Will I see it? NO. I do have some dignity.

No comments: