Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Skool Daze

How are my avid readers doing this glorious Tuesday? I have been extremely swamped with school work and I'm not sure how much more information my poor brain can hold. I knew it would be difficult and I would need to adjust, but I didn’t know it was going to be this tough. I feel almost like I bit off more than I can chew. I worked a full 8 hour day yesterday, crammed for my Humanities test during lunch, came home and had to wash the dishes and figure out what I was cooking for dinner (DING! I need to go take some meat out of the freezer so we can have dinner tonight – I shall return. BACK!! Did you miss me?). My head spins on a daily basis.

You said you wanted to hear how school's going? It's going. History isn't too bad - I thought it would be worse. The week before last I had to write something about The Great Awakening of America and the religious revivals and something about religious revivals today. I compared the revivals to Obama's presidential campaign. A! I had my 2nd quiz last week and I fell like an idiot. How the hell does one get a B on what is basically an open book test?

Psychology, psychology, psychology – a class in which I am surrounded by a group of young, stupid and ignorant people. A few weeks ago Teach was talking about little boys playing with dolls and asked if the class had an opinion. The black girl with long, claw-like fingernails and a helluva weave, raised her hand and said, "I'd let my 2 or 3 year old play wit' 'em but at 6 or 7 they need to stop. I don't want 'em to turn 'homo.'" I almost went down as home girl did the finger quotations around homo, and in one sentence she easily alienated any gays or lesbians in the class. I got a B on my first psychology test. The weaved out black girl started crying in class because she bombed it. I thought I was back in elementary school. Teach posted the group average and our Team Five scored the highest with a C - rounding out the class was another C and three D's, making me quite happy with my B. I turned in my first psych paper today, and as I’m sure I previously mentioned but let me remind you anyways), which is graded based off of a pass/fail system only. WTF?! I can actually write psychology papers.

English isn't what I thought it would be. It’s an online course where I can usually get away with doing everything half ass (like using the textbook on the History test and still scoring a B – maybe half ass isn’t working), but unfortunately this woman has us reading three or four chapters a week. Each chapter has 4 or 5 stories plus verbiage for creative writing. No, it doesn’t sound bad but it is. I’ll be happy to get a C in this class, but hey – that’s all I need to pass it.

And since you are all so interested in my school life, I will round out my babblings with Humanities. I find the class extremely fascinating. I learned who built the pyramids and how and why they were built; I found out that before Eve there was Lilith, who was banished to Nod as Adam didn’t like her because she felt she was his equal and because (and this really is QUOTED from my Humanities teacher), “she liked to be on top.” Don't we all? Anywho, this is supposed to be in the old Jewish writings so I’ll hopefully have the free time to research this. When talking about the story of Cain and Able, the professor compared Abel to a shepherd and Cain as a farmer and creator of totalitarian agriculture (which stops the natural cycle of life). Umm, I don’t know what they were smoking when they came up with this theory but that’s some strong shit. I took my first test today and I think I actually faired quite well (tune in next time for grade). And I thought this was to be my hell class. Oh, but before you exhale, it still is. I have that horrible paper due next week where I have to decipher the writings of one ancient person or the other and compare them to a current day news article, the first paper of two which account of 30% of my grade. I flipped through the book and I saw the works “Quran” and “Women.” It’s time for me to alienate any Muslim students in the class.

No comments: