Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Final Chapter...

I finished the latest masterpiece by JK Rowling. Holy moly – hands down one of the best books I have ever read. I was hooting and hollering as I read it. Tears of joy and happiness streamed down my face and onto the book, wilting the pages. There were only supposed to be 2 deaths, I thought, but in total (main) 4 characters were killed off as well as what has to be my favorite magical creature.

STOP HERE IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW!
Although many people died facing You-Know-Who I am only recapping the deaths of those we know.
First death – Mad-Eye Moody as introduced in Book 4 the Goblet of Fire. He takes a much larger role in the Order of the Phoenix. I thought it was sad but eh – who really cares?
The next 3 all died in battle – Remus Lupin (the werewolf hybrid introduced in Book 3 the Prisoner of Azkaban – he too takes a larger part of the story starting with the Order of the Phoenix) – this too was sad; Tonks, Remus’ wife (also introduced in the Order) who had just had a baby (awful!) that Harry was the godfather of; and Fred Weasley – one of the twins who have been there since the very beginning (His twin – George – had his ear blown off leaving a big gaping hole – oh my!). The all died with dignity on that final, fateful night.
The final human death, Professor Severus Snape. Through out the series he and our hero loathed each other but in the end - what’s this – Snape was good?! Snape had been in love with Harry’s mum since childhood and when Voldemort went after her, Snape changed sides and came to follow Dumbledore. Who knew all this time he was protecting the Boy Who Lived?
But the one that killed me – broke my heart to the point I had to put the book down and walk away (and as I type about it my eyes swell with tears) – was the death of Dobby, the house elf (introduced in Book 2 the Chamber of Secrets). When it seemed that all hope was lost, Dobby came out of no where to save the life of Harry Potter and his friends. ~squish squish~ Heartbreaking I tell you! I sobbed for nearly 15 minutes. Sobbed to the point my eyes are still swollen this morning.
Neville Longbottom, the awkward little boy found through out the entire series, bucked up and kicked ass. Mrs. Weasley got into an ass kicking duel with Bellatrix LeStange (yelling at Bellatrix, and I quote, “NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!”). Buckbeak was there – he was the hippograff Harry and Hermione saved in the Prisoner of Azkaban. Basically everyone and everything, whom Harry had helped at some point or another, came back to whoop ass when Mr. Potter was threatened. Damn I wish I had friends like these!

The moral of the Harry Potter franchise, I think, is to follow the Golden Rule – Do onto others as you would like done to yourself. I think this is a something that the majority of us fail to follow in everyday life as we are all out for our own personal gain. As cheesy and hokey as this may sound, I am now thinking about how I live my life and how I treat those surrounding me. What comes around, goes around. This is not only the basic principle of karma, but The Secret and the Golden Rule as well. Maybe they’re onto something. Just ask Harry Potter.

No comments: