Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Harry Potter and Danielle's Obsession

I know I’ve been away for a while but there hasn’t been anything to blog about…. until now…

The Harry Potter series got an entire generation of young folks (and old ones, too) into reading. I won’t lie – I myself fall into this category as a self proclaimed Harry Potter junkie. I have been patiently awaiting the release of the 7th and final book in Mr. Potter’s epic saga and finally it is here. The book dropped at midnight on Friday. Surprisingly enough I did not obtain my copy at the time, nor did I pick up a copy all weekend. In lieu of reading on Sunday I opted to watch all four Harry Potter movies currently released on DVD – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone; Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets; Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and finally Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is currently in the movie theaters (BIG SHOCK – I’m planning on heading over to the Tampa Bay Pitcher Show to see it – BY MYSELF – the meds must be kicking in or I seriously have a wicked addiction). Sunday night I was so Harry Pottered out that I dreamt in British accents (I actually really enjoy this – someone could call me a fat, nasty bitch but as long as they did it in a British accent, I’m a’ight).

As Monday rolled around and I started jonesing for the newest novel. I decided to take an early lunch at 10a as I could contain myself no longer. I just had to know what happened to the boy that lived. I went to my favorite store, my nemesis – Wal-Mart – and searched frantically for Harry and the Deathly Hallows. SOLD OUT! Bloody hell! But I was on a mission and I would not stop until I felt the book in my hands. I started hallucinating about it – me curled up with the dogs, pouring over page after page of the ginormous book, happiness at its finest. I drive off to Target in hopes I can get it there. Lo and behold – there it was! I felt like I had just placed by hands on the Tri-Wizard Cup (from HP & the Goblet of Fire for you muggles). I snatch up the book with a few other supplies to get me through the reading – Tostitos with a hint of lime, salsa con queso dip and beef jerky – a feast of champions. Feeling like I just hit the lottery I float back into the office and put the book squarely on my desk for examination. 759 pages – jeepers this thing is a big as the bible – fortunately the print is much larger. There have been so many rumors floating around about how the series will conclude. Will the boy wizard and his cohorts live or will they be destroyed with the killing curse Avada Kedavra? So many questions to have answered. Unable to contain myself I go to the last few pages to see what will happen. DISCONTINUE READING IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW! What’s this – it looks like Harry, Ron and Hermione all LIVE! What kind of bloody bullshit is this? How unrealistic is this – everyone lives. Someone needs to die, if not Harry one of his closest pals. Then it got even worse – it looks like Ron married Hermione and spawned off some kids – Harry married Ginny Weasley (Ron’s sister and his love interest in HP & the Half Blood Prince (Book 6) and they had kids as well. Granted it gives a bit of closure being we now know what happens 20 years in the future but what a let down. Happy endings are great but everyone knows there is no pleasure without pain. Someone always has to die. I cannot guarantee this is what happens but I'm pretty damn sure. Ask again tomorrow as I think I'll be done with the book tonight.

JK Rowling promised the death of 2 main characters in this book. In my reading (bought the book yesterday – I’m on page 334 now) and have stumbled across one death. No big deal – this didn’t hit close to home like the death of the great Dumbledore (also HP & the Half Blood Prince) in which I actually came to tears. I have an idea who the other will be as well as a twist that I’m sure will reveal itself in the next 200 pages or so.

Off subject – I have this little dot behind my ear that I’ve been picking at for the least few days. I think I’ve been abducted by aliens and I now have some GPS tracking device inside my body.

1 comment:

flawed said...

What the hell? Harry lives? I guess I hoped he did, but didn't expect it. Ginny Weasley??? I really need to read the books instead of only watching the movies.