Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Life. It's Bigger.

Not sure how many days it's been but I figured I should check in. I still love married life, for the most part. Some days it's a bit draining on me. My smart ass-ed-ness and sarcasm is starting to get under his skin a bit. He will dish it right back to me for the principal of it, which I don't take too well. They say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I say what's good for the goose is good for the goose, and sometimes you have to say screw the gander. I've been single and set in my ways for a very, very long time. This will definitely take some getting used to.

Even though I'm still sexless in the city, we've discussed getting married and having children. This relationship seems to be working a bit backwards, don't you think?

I've always said that if I had kids they would take my last name. I'm the last in my line, with the exception of my younger cousin (who's mother is now a man and who's father is more than likely gay), and I am unsure if he will be procreating. I always said if I had a son I would name him Daniel David Melville, II (the 2nd) after my daddy (and myself). I was told if we had a son, his last name would be Hillard. If we have a daughter, I can give her any last name I want. Would she be chopped liver? That's crappy. I should feel lucky since I'm allowed to to pick the first and middle names for both kids. So I've decided my son's name will be Daniel Melville Hillard and he will have my maiden name as his middle name. The daughter will be Elizabeth Aria (or Daniela - she'd go by Ella) Melville Hillard. Poor thing will have 2 middle names. I thought my signature was long.

He's all about having not one, but two kids. Just remember I am the one who has vowed not to have children let alone spawn off two of those bad boys. Better yet - he wants them about a year and a half apart. So I'd be pregnant and uncomfortable for 9 months, I'd have 9 months off and then would have to get pregnant and uncomfortable again. And keep in mind I'd have to be off my medication for all of this fun. They'd have to lock me the fuck up. In the end I'd be that poor mother you see in the grocery store trying to keep the baby in the cart from pulling stuff off the shelves while holding the other kid's hand so he/she/it wouldn't run amok. Good lord - I didn't wants kids after 30 and with this plan I won't be done breeding until I'm 40.

As far as marriage is concerned, he was very unhappy when I told him I anticipated keeping my last name. He doesn't feel like that's traditional. Traditional?! When the hell have I ever been known to be traditional?! My compromise was to hyphenate my name - i.e. Danielle Melville-Hillard (I tried to do this with the kids' names as well but got shot down). He didn't like that either. He basically doesn't think I would be committing myself fully to the relationship because I'd want to keep a part of my single self. I am a Melville and will always be a Melville.

And finally, on a lighter note, I was on a 5 year dating plan.
YEAR ONE - Move in together.
YEAR TWO - Get engaged.
YEAR THREE - Get married.
YEAR FOUR - Enjoy married life.
YEAR FIVE - Have kids.

At least I'm a little ahead of the game now.

Side Note - My last name is not MELVILLE and his last name is not HILLARD. Our names have been changed to protect the innocent.

No comments: