Wednesday, June 25, 2008

You Are Not Alone

I'm happy I'm getting reader feed back on the blog. I received an email yesterday from one of my readers, Samantha, who was kind enough to share her own experience with us.

Danielle:
I read your last post. It is hard to quit something until you’re absolutely ready. I used to drink a lot. A LOT. I was usually very mean and extremely obnoxious. I cut back and thought I was o.k. but I was still retarded when I drank. Last year after my son's b-day party I had an alcohol induced meltdown. Sobbing, cutting, banging my head on the wall. Not pretty. I decided after that to quit because I felt SO HORRIBLE about my son. It was his freaking birthday and I was in the bathroom flipping out. I felt like the worst, most selfish person ever. It’s a whole lot easier to quit when you have a good reason – like being a bad mother. Now, I have a beer maybe once a month. I usually can’t even finish it. I’ve decided I don’t like the way it makes me feel and the way I treat others when I am drunk. Maybe your new man could be your reason.
-Samantha


It's always nice to know you're not alone. I am not the only one with a 'problem' of some sort. I've changed my mind and decided not to classify mine as an issue. I've only been taking these damned pills daily for about 2 months or so, and in small doses, so I believe it's too soon to develop an addiction. Props to me - I only took 1 mg on the way home and hit the Nyquil bottle at bed time. Hey - it's a start!

Samantha - you are totally correct. You have to be READY to quit your vices and quit them for your own reasons. I don't think I should quit for a man, but for myself, and I am not at the point where I really think this is a problem that is severely affecting me. I think, however, my manager might be onto me. I've been moving a bit slow lately and she's a mom so she knows. I need to cover my tracks better..

No comments: