Monday, April 13, 2009

A Long, Long Time Ago

I can still remember....

I have pictures everywhere in my office so let’s go again, shall we? (This is great – I can now have a permanent recollection of everything!)

As many of you well know, my folks split when I was quite you. Mom moved up to NC while I stayed in Florida with Pops (and God do I love my day – no sarcasm intending – he is the greatest man ever). Even couple of summer’s I would fly up to NC to visit my Mom. One year, when I was 16 or 17, I missed my flight. This was totally my fault, Either Michelle or my friend Bart were rushing to get me to the airport but the God’s honest truth I was running late because I had been having sex with this guy named Tony S. (TMI – I know).

So here I am at TIA, my flight missed. The air people got let me get on the next flight, which would be arriving in Charlotte only about an hour or so after my original flight. So I hop on that plane and begin my travel up north. When I landed, I realized I had no idea how to find my Step-Paw because he was at some other gate. So here I was, roaming around the terminal and I looked over and saw this man eating a hot dog and immediately thought, “What is the guy homeless? Why does he have all that shit in his hair?” And then it hit me who it was.


***

IT WAS GEORGE MUTHA-FUCKING CLINTON!!

***



I went up to him and said, “Sir, are you George Clinton?” “Yes I am baby,” he says to me. Holy shit! I asked for an autograph and he let me take is picture. I felt horrible because he was eating his dog in peace when I interrupted him and then people starting coming up to him.

Do who know how many artists look up to this man for decades and have used him and his music as their inspiration? I think everyone of his songs have been sampled by someone or another.

It was the coolest thing. I got to meet the Original D-O-G!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I admit george clinton was an amazing muscian and I love his old stuff, but homeboy has been on the road way too long.
I have it on good authority when he was at janus landing, while the rest of the band was in the green room smoking weed and socializing, he was shut in his private room smoking crack. thats all he does anymore. all those years of hard living have caught up to him...he's like a black ozzy ozbourne. He's still the original d-o-g though